Posted in quilting, stash

Dino quilt coming together

… and about time too, since I’ve had the fabric for 18 months.


Lessons learned so far:

  • keep a file folder with design notes right in the bin with the project rather than scattered through sketchbooks which then have to be tabbed with sticky notes
  • keep ALL the fabric in the bin.  I was nervous of running short of dinosaurs but when I came to make the remaining bow tie blocks the other day I thought I had run out of the background neutral, so three blocks have a different background.  Then I found plenty of the original planned background fabric that had been stashed in another spot.  I debated picking the blocks apart but decided that done is better than perfect, especially when Young Sprout, the intended recipient, knows about the quilt and is not getting any younger.
  • buy plenty of the focus fabric so there’s enough for a pillowcase.  I already made and presented the pillowcase for this quilt.
  • Directional fabric makes it easier to keep track of which way each block goes
  • Google images was my friend.  I searched for images of bow tie quilts and scrolled down until I found one made with a similar design to what I had in mind.  I don’t have EQ software and if I did I’d either sit and play with it and never sew anything, or I wouldn’t use it at all.   With smaller blocks it’s fun and easy to put them on the design wall and move them round.  These blocks will finish to 12 inches for a total size of 5 feet by 7 feet, which is far too big for my design wall.  So we laid them out on the floor and I made sure that we liked the look of having all the bow ties going the same way.
  • My low-tech friend was masking tape.  Since the squares of dino fabric are virtually interchangeable, I just labeled the bow ties.  Now if I lived in a home with an atrium or a large hallway with a balcony on the second floor I could do it with photos … oh well, think of all the dusting and vacuuming THAT would entail!
  • And here’s my other low-tech friend. Yup, pen and paper.


Posted in creativity, quilting

New block discovered?

Decided I really need to finish the dinosaur quilt for my grandson so was making up the last of the bow tie blocks.  Where are the dinosaurs, you ask?  Stay tuned!



Almost made a boo-boo.  It’s a blessing I noticed in time so no reverse sewing was needed.However the trusty seam ripper did not idle as I made two identical units that would not make a proper bow tie.

Decided it does have possibilities and to test with smaller pieces, using 5 inch and 2 inch scraps, the system Joan Ford uses in her book Cut the Scraps!

Of course the colour I grabbed may condemn this to orphan block status for a while.  Not a good time to let myself get detoured into exploring all the secondary patterns, because I have several projects on the go that need to be finished.  But I like the modern, energetic look it conveys.  Definite possibilities there,  what do you think?


And does this block have a name already?  It seems likely that someone would have already tried this and given it a name, since all it takes is six pieces of fabric.


Posted in quilting

Dino rampage

Dinosaur pillowcase This fabric was chosen with Young Sprout in mind, because he is fascinated by dinosaurs and knows a surprising lot of detail.  Anyway I really shouldn’t boast although it’s hard to resist that urge!  A quilt is in the works too but that will be a while longer.

Making pillowcases you can feel proud of is a snap thanks to this YouTube video from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  I have it bookmarked and whenever I decide to make a pillowcase I watch it through, then follow along as I make my own.  This would be one good quick gift idea, either as a stocking stuffer or it could even do double duty as gift wrap around a bulky gift.

Locally, Daphne Greig has done a lot to teach pillowcase making as a community service project.

Posted in quilting, surface design

Image recaptured!

Well, we recovered the “lost” quilt photo by taking the memory card out, and here is the finished quilt.

The challenge fabric is the black with the multicoloured stars.  You can see it in the two biggest black stars that are not purple.

It was interesting to see what other Guild members had done — one made the challenge fabric into prairie points and put them in the middle of the quilt, i.e. sewn between the seams rather than the usual putting them around the edge.  Another person used skinny strips as an accent.

My grandson’s favourite quilt had dinosaurs appliqued onto it.  He kept returning to look at it.

The next project I am focusing on finishing is Geode, which is almost but not quite 60 inches square.  The top is pieced and this aft I started piecing the backing, which is also cool in a minimalist way.  Will post front and back pix when ready.

The plan is to spring for quilting rather than trying to do this one myself.  I feel that’s my best chance to do something this size that I can feel comfortable having on display.  Although I want to get this completed, there is no mad rush to have it quilted, which makes me popular with the quilter at this crazy time of year!