Compared to the last photo before it went into the dye bath.
How did the predictions turn out?
That the printed cottons (pink with Chinese characters and the purple and pink dots around the border) will take up less of the dye than the other fabrics.
Not really, the pink and purple dots are the darkest elements in the piece now and you really have to look to see the dots.
That the upholstery fabrics will retain more of the dye than the piece used in my other workshop project, which glowed when it came out of the dye and then mostly rinsed off.
Yes, that worked better because I hand washed the upholstery samples I was planning to use with Synthrapol.
Quilted with purple polyester serger thread, which will retain its current colour and contrast with the dyed finished wall hanging.
That happened and now that everything else is a similar colour I like my free motion quilting better than when I took it off the machine.
- It was weird to see the turquoise polyester stay brilliantly its own colour throughout the dyeing process. It positively glowed as I was agitating the dye bath trying to ensure that everything dyed evenly with no freckles or streaks or unintended weirdnesses.
- Not sure about the butterfly shape above the central panel. I will say no more. It will tell me what to do over time.
Points to Ponder:
To dye something evenly you need to stir the dyebath fairly constantly during the first half hour, and then at intervals after that. I had planned to do this Saturday morning but by the time the piece was ready to go in, I was planning to meet friends for coffee, so I postponed it until the late afternoon. Even then, I spent several hours out at dinner, but it had been stirred around enough in the early stages that it was okay.
One of the most important safety principles in dyeing is that nothing can be used for food once you’ve used it for dyeing. I have a jug, measuring cups and spoons, old yogourt containers, a bread knife and a form that have all been dedicated to dyeing and surface design. For this piece I needed something to stir the pot with and hesitated to sacrifice a wooden spoon. My main objection was not the expense of replacing it as much as the nuisance of needing to do so. Me eye fell on a nice smooth piece of driftwood occasionally used as antlers by Young Sprout to be a “boy deer.” Perfectomundo! Problem solved! And there’s plenty more where that came from …
Trim the edges
Make bias binding