Here’s a close up showing the quilting on this one, which is technically the best quilting I feel I’ve done, just meandering lines in a grid, using Valdani Withered Blue on top and their Brick (I think it is) in the bobbin.
And to the right, the whole quilt.
What was fun with this was that I didn’t buy any fabric, just found stuff in my existing stash that played together nicely.
Following Joan Ford’s advice in Cut the Scraps! was a big help as all the squares were cut to five inches. The paisley and the pale blue feathers were yardage which I cut, the others were from scraps I’d already cut down. It was fast and fun to pore through the clamshell I keep them in and pull out the dark blue, red, peacock feathers and the deep red paisley and then just sit and sew.
The Missouri Star Quilt Company YouTube tutorial on disappearing nine-patch
was a terrific quick primer that saved me from making any design mistakes. You put the focus fabrics in the four corners of the nine-patch, the middle fabric will be sliced into four little squares, and the fabrics in the middle of each outside appear like sashing, which is why I stuck to the blue feathers so there would be some consistency to the design.
When the quilt was started, no one knew whether the baby would be a boy or a girl. Here in British Columbia you can only find out by paying extra for a special test. Anyway the not knowing meant I needed to choose colours that were not gender specific, which I think I achieved. In the end it was a boy, but this would also be suitable for a girl too.